The Journal of Screenwriting is calling for articles for a special issue with a focus on female screenwriters, to be published in August/September 2020.
The Journal wants to emphasize the importance of female screenwriters across eras, genres, mediums. This importance may arise from an analysis of bodies of work, from individual scripts written by women, or from case studies where female screenwriters have worked collaboratively to express screen stories. Articles may also include women’s work behind the scenes in advocating for/promoting greater gender equality within screenwriting milieux. Articles on female screenwriters from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.
Articles may include (but are not limited to) the following topics:
- Female screenwriters in silent cinema
- The influence of female writer(-directors) in contemporary culture
- Case studies on individual screenwriter’s work, collaborations between women, or on how women-centred stories have been brought to the screen
- Historiography of manuals and screenwriting pedagogy where this reflects the work of female screenwriters
- National and global tendencies with regard to women within screenwriting – relations, influences, cultural transfers
- Censorship and women’s stories and women’s writings
- Biographies of female screenwriters of any era
- Female screenwriters within writing partnerships
- The work of female screenwriters within script production (e.g. as showrunners, script editors or consultants)
- The question of a female voice within screenwriting
In the first instance, please email abstracts of up to 400 words and a short biography, no later than *Friday October 4, 2019* to *both* of the editors of this special issue:
Rosanne Welch: email@example.com | Rose Ferrell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed articles of between 4000 and 8000 words should be sent by end January 2020 via the Journal of Screenwriting’s web page, where you can also access information on the journal’s house style:**
Peer review and acceptance/rejection will be completed by end of May 2020. Rewrites will be due by end of July 2020.
The *Journal of Screenwriting* is an international peer-reviewed journal published three times annually by Intellect, and is abstracted and indexed by Thomson Reuters: ISI Web of Knowledge, MLA and FIAF. It explores the nature of writing for the screen image; this includes not only writing for film and television but also computer games and animation. The journal highlights current academic and professional thinking about the screenplay and intends to promote, stimulate and bring together current research and contemporary debates around the screenplay whilst encouraging groundbreaking research in an international arena. The journal is discursive, critical, rigorous and engages with issues in a dynamic and developing field, linking academic theory to screenwriting practice.